Cleaning The Galaxian

 machine was stored in an open barn for 15 years.  Barns are not too clean.  I had a MAJOR cleanup job to do.Every horizontal surface had a layer of Bird Crap caked on it.  Disgusting.  I disassembled the entire cabinet on the back porch.  I had to get this stuff off before I could haul the cabinet into my house.  Well, I could have hauled it in, but my Wife would have killed me!  :)

I resorted to a putty knife to get the worst of the dirt off of the top.  It was over a quarter of an inch thick, so it came off in big pieces.  Then I used a bucket of warm water and a scrub brush to clean the rest of the cabinet.NOTE : Side Art can be fragile.  Do not use harsh chemicals.  The earlier cabinets were often painted with ink in a silk screen process.  Smear it and you are finished.  Experiment with the soap in a less obvious spot that is already damaged.  

If it works there, then it should be safe everywhere. The monitor bezel is the glass that covers the monitor.  One side is sometimes painted.  Smear it and you are finished.  Being just a piece of glass, it is easy to clean the glass side, but do not get any cleaning products on the painted side.  You may see some Candy Crush Saga Cheats Tricks and Strategies bubbles in the paint. The bubbles are caused by heat and time.  You can't fix them.  Don'ttry.  Some people try a clear coat spray paint.  

I have never heard of acceptable results.  If it is too bad, you may want to try flat black spray paint. It will not save the paint job, but may make the damage harder to spot.  A new Galaxian monitor bezel on Ebay goes for about $40.00.The control panel washed up just fine with soap and water.I vacuumed the interior out, but a year later it still smelled like hay.

Comments